Sunday, May 16, 2010

Autism: Helping Our Children Figure Out the "Social" World

From Laura Schumaker's autism blog from The San Francisco Chronicle.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Since I have promised my 23 year old son Matthew, who has autism, that I'll help him meet some "nice girls," I thought I'd check in with the bay area's Michelle Garcia Winner, an internationally recognized expert in the field of social relationships for individuals on the autism spectrum.
Wherever your child is on the autism spectrum, chances are that they will need help deciphering the rules of social relationships lifelong.
Today, Michelle tells a story that shows how the concept of "Social Thinking" works, and why the concept is changing the way parents and professionals think about treatment for autism spectrum disorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment