Monday, September 20, 2010

Making Life Work for Adults With Autism

Check out Laura Shumaker's piece on SFGate, the blog of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Matthew was 7 years old the first time I heard one of the many questions that haunt parents of children with autism.
"Where will he live when he's a man?"

The question leveled me, and it would be years before my husband and I could seriously consider it again.
The story of Autism's First Child by John Donvan and Caren Zucker last week in the Atlantic and the follow up piece Making The World Work For Adults With Autism on Talk of the Nation are the latest of many thought provoking articles on the topic, one that more and more parents are facing.
The editors of The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism ask me to contribute an essay about the "where will he live?" question. Believe it or not, there are a number of options to think about, including Supported Living Services:

No comments:

Post a Comment