Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What the Americans with Disabilities Act Means to Me

I must disclose a bit of a bias--I know Krista, the writer of this post from the White House blog, and I'm proud to see that she's doing big things for the disability community in the nation's capitol this summer! Keep up the good work!

WASHINGTON -- As a young woman with Cerebral Palsy, I learned at a young age that if I let my disability stop me from reaching my goals, I would be promoting a common misconception that disability is equal to inability. So, when I was offered an internship at the White House working for Kareem Dale doing outreach this summer, I could not let the opportunity pass. I had no idea what my internship would entail, how I would manage my expenses, and most importantly, if this new city would be accessible, but when I got to Washington, what I saw inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment