Friday, October 28, 2011

Life on the Spectrum: Long, Cold Autumn

Last year Brian Lafferty lost his mother to breast cancer. This column is the second of a four-part series about loss and grief from an Autistic’s perspective.

SAN DIEGO -- At my alma mater, The Winston School, I was blessed to have a fine P.E. teacher and softball coach. On one of my toughest days he gave me a piece of sage advice. He told me, "If you worry that something bad is going to happen, chances are it's not going to happen."
This advice would prove time and again to be true. Granted it wasn't true all of the time, but when my mind is inclined to worry about something, I remember what my P.E. teacher said. Nine times out of ten, nothing bad happens and life goes on.
This dictum would be put to the ultimate test, however, when I learned Mom had cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment