Thursday, December 29, 2011

For the Herd's Sake, Vaccinate

Dr. Steven Weinreb, a high school friend, had an oped in The New York Times yesterday. It makes a lot of sense. I realize there are so many families who truly believe that vaccinations gave their child autism. But maybe they should think again.

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. -- I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Three months ago, I underwent an allogeneic stem-cell transplant, in which my wise, 52-year-old white blood cells were replaced by bewildered, low-functioning cells from an anonymous European donor. For the next seven months or so, until those cells mature, I have a newborn’s immunity; I am prey to illnesses like chickenpox, the measles and the flu.
These diseases are rarely fatal, unless you’re a newborn or someone with a suppressed immune system like me. My newborn buddies and I do have some protection, however: the rest of you.

2 comments:

  1. I also posted on my blog citing Dr. Weinreb's excellent op ed since I the treatment for my neurological condition was a combination of three months of plasmapheresis and the same immune suppressants that organ transplant patients must take. I finished the TPE last fall but am still on the immune suppressants.

    The treatment is working for me but wouldn't it be a shame to die from a sickness that is preventable while undergoing these difficult treatments or getting an organ transplant to make us well ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, thanks for your comment. Steven's piece was excellent and made so much sense. The dangers of not vaccinating children is far greater than the fears people have linking the vaccines to autism, despite the lack of scientific evidence. I wish you continued success with your treatment.

      Delete