Monday, February 13, 2012

Kate Winslet's Passion Project

Kate Winslet
At first, Kate Winslet thought it would be just another job. Cherie Blair, the wife of the former prime minister of England, Tony Blair, had sent the Oscar-winning actress a documentary from Iceland that needed an English-language narrator. Called A Mother's Courage: Talking Back to Autism, it was about Margret Ericsdottir's journey to discover whether her severely autistic 11-year-old son, Keli, would ever be able to speak. What Ericsdottir learns -- not only about her own son but also about so many kids who are nonverbal -- is astounding.
Winslet watched the tape. "To say I was moved sounds so very basic. I couldn't stop thinking about it," she says. "I was being asked, as an actress, to use my voice for children who have no voice." Winslet flew to England, where she was introduced to Ericsdottir, to record the narration. "I knew as soon as I met her that we would be friends. I also knew I couldn't just lend my voice to this documentary and go home."

No comments:

Post a Comment