Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Autism Around Us: Before Commenting, Try Walking in Our Shoes

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a copy of a letter sent to a Boston radio station on which a topic of conversation was related to children on “leashes.” In response to the exchange, the mother of an autistic child writes, “Most of us need them because we are good parents ... Hopefully if you feel the way this man did, I can change your perspective a little.”

Jimmy Harrington
I don’t usually write emails to radio stations, in fact I think this is the first time that I have done so. I also try not to let what I hear on the radio bother me. But this morning I did hear something and it just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t comment on it.
I am referring to one of the listeners’ comment about parents with kids on leashes and that they should be able to control their children without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment