Wednesday, July 11, 2012

No Charges for Mom Who Abanodoned Daughter at Bar

Such a disturbing story. Anyone as stunned as I am?

A mother who drove to a bar in Tennessee and left her severely mentally disabled daughter there before zipping back home to Illinois is not expected to face any charges, police said Wednesday.
Eva Cameron, of Algonquin, Ill., stopped in Caryville, Tenn., on June 28 and left 19-year-old Lynn, whose vocabulary and mental capacity is no more than that of a 3-year-old, at The Big Orange Bar with no money, ID, or other belongings.

2 comments:

  1. This is the comment I prefaced this story on my page with: When I see stories like this, I think that at least the parent did the right thing and sought help, instead of doing the unthinkable. Not everyone is cut out to be a special needs parent and not everyone has the resources to do what they need to. I'm not advocating child abandonment, but I think there should be a way to go to social services and say "I can't anymore" leaving the child/adult safe without prosecution. In a perfect world people that shouldn't wouldn't become parents, but that's not always reality. Instead of judgments, I'd like to see some help extended to those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a good point QC. I agree that there needs to be more supports available to parents of children with special needs. Unfortunately, in many states, the system is so difficult to navigate.

    ReplyDelete